I hope you enjoy this healthy twist on a classic favorite. This Cauliflower “Potato” Salad is a great make-ahead dish. Top with a couple slices of crumbled organic turkey bacon for an easy lunch. You can also boost your plant-based protein by topping with a couple tablespoons of hemp hearts for vegetarians.
Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
· 4 cups cauliflower florets (about 2 small heads)
· 3 tbsp. fresh lemon Juice
· 2 tbsp. cold pressed olive oil
· ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
· ¼ cup diced white onions
· 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
· ½ cup diced celery (2 stalks)
· 2 tbsp. chives or green onions sliced thin
· Optional: whole black olives
Creamy “ Mayo” sauce (if you need a time saver, you can substitute this homemade mayo with 1 cup of soy-free vegainaise- but this dressing is amazing and so worth the effort)
· ½ cup cashews, soaked in filtered water for 2 hours (strain soaking liquid before adding to the recipe)
· 1 medium zucchini, peeled and rough chop
· 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
· 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
· 2 tsp. spicy stone ground mustard
· 1-2 tbsp. fresh or dried dill
· 1 tsp. turmeric
· 1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
· 1 tsp. onion powder
· ¾ tsp. smoked paprika
· ½ tsp. black pepper
· ½ cup filtered water (as needed to blend)
In a large bowl/container with a lid, whisk together all the ingredients for the cauliflower marinade. Add the cauliflower florets and toss well. Put the lid on the bowl and allow to marinate over night. This process will make the cauliflower light and bright in flavor. For a quick method, you can steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes and then toss with marinade and cool in fridge for 1 hour before proceeding to the next step.
Next, make the homemade Mayo sauce. Place all ingredients, except for the water, in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add the water to adjust to a creamy salad dressing consistency. Place in the fridge to chill.
Next, assemble the salad. Place the marinated cauliflower in a colander to strain the excess liquid out.
Place the cauliflower in a large bowl, then toss in the Add-in ingredients.
Add Mayo sauce and toss well so everything is coated.
Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving.