Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Applegate Italian Chicken sausage
- 14 ounce jar Organic pizza sauce ( eg, Eden brand Organic pizza sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups Follow your heart Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- ½ green pepper diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons sliced olives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil optional
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then scoop out the seeds. If they don’t lie flat, trim a thin strip from the bottom. Place them on a baking sheet or in a 9×13 casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, 4-6 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Stir in pizza sauce and heat for 1-2 minutes longer.
Add sausage mixture to each zucchini boat, then top with cheese, mushrooms, green pepper, red onion and olives.
Place into oven and bake until the zucchini is tender, and the cheese has melted, about 12-18 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with basil and red pepper flakes, if desired.